If you believe the only way to do something right is to do it yourself, then you are in the way of growing your business. Instead, try implementing these 5 basic steps for proper delegation of tasks and duties. Not only will you free up your valuable time and resources, you’ll create a contingency plan to ensure critical tasks are always completed.
Meet your company’s expectations and achieve the success you desire by implementing the following delegation steps.
- Be very specific about the end result you want from the activity. In fact, write it out. The clearer you are in your own mind with regard to the desired outcome, the easier it is to select the right person for the job.
- Select individuals based on their demonstrated skill-set. If the results are important to your business, this probably is not the time to give someone a chance. It is vital that you delegate responsibilities to someone you confidently know can deliver what you need.
- Communicate to the person exactly what you want done. Include how you want it done, when it is due, and the results that you expect. Take the time to teach and clarify the best way to perform the task. This will ensure the activity is performed as you wish, and on time.
- Develop a timeline for reporting progress. This is where most management falls short. I recommend that you set a deadline for completion up to a week before the actual due date. A flexible schedule allows you to make adjustments if necessary. Leave nothing to chance.
- Inspect what you expect. Delegation is not abdication. At the end of the day, you are still responsible.
The most effective way to implement your business’ delegation plan is to make a list of the tasks and duties. Start by answering these questions. What task can and should you delegate to a subordinate? Which one of your employees can handle the assignment?
By following the five steps outlined above, you’re well on your way to developing a thriving and growth-oriented company.
To get more information and receive other no-cost special audio downloads, reports, articles, blog posts, and more, visit Ron Hequet where I cover valuable topics that every person wanting to grow their business or career needs to know. And, if you’re ready to take your business to the next level, get a free assessment from me personally at Free Business Assessment or for those wanting to build your career go to Complimentary Coaching Assessment.